28 April 2010

Caves, Graves & Waves, Part III: Waves

As I was preparing to sit down and write this last installment of the Caves, Graves & Waves trilogy, I realized that this might be one of those a-picture-is-worth-a-thousand-words situations.  Usually, as a writer, I'll take any opportunity I get to wax poetic (or blab, as the case may be), but this time, I'm not sure that would really do Pantai Bira justice.  You could just as well call up a scene from the ultimate beach fantasy of your wildest dreams, and that would probably be pretty accurate.  We laid out on the white sand, went swimming in the brilliant turquoise waters, snorkeled by a tiny island half an hour off the coast, ate the best fish cooked in Bumbu Bali sauce I've ever tasted in my life, took walks on the beach, drank cold beer, read our books, and watched the sun set over the ocean.  See, no justice.  Picture time.







Stellar end to a stellar trip, wouldn't you say?  Oh, that's right, sorry -- you're speechless with envy.  I'll give you a few minutes.  Can't say I blame you.

On the other hand, back in Yogya, I've just been roped in to judging a debate competition at my school -- all weekend.  That's Saturday plus Sunday, sitting in a chair all day watching kids argue with each other in English.  Ohhhh, goody.  This should be a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment